Thursday 18 November 2010

Fox in the Snow

We are now well into November (in case you haven’t looked at a calendar lately) and London has become decidedly cold. This morning in the lift, another trainee remarked, “It’s so cold! I don’t know how you can come in wearing only a jacket. Brr.”

I did not know that people said ‘Brr’ in real life.

* * *

Last night I saw a fox, just outside our housing complex. It was strolling along the street, as cool as you like. I knew there are foxes in London; I just wasn’t expecting to see one in a locality as irredeemably urban as Canary Wharf.

There are not many things that can make me smile when returning from work at well past midnight, but this did.

8 comments:

Indecision Personified said...

"There are not many things that can make me smile when returning from work at well past midnight..."

No doubt wearing just a jacket ofcourse!! That sight would have made me smile too.

I knew there were mad people in London; I just wasn't expecting to see one in a locality as bitingly cold as canal-side canary wharf at midnight.

WV: 'coachtsh'.. haha looks like the word has caught a cold too!!

Rara Avis said...

I say brr in real life.
My brother watches a cartoon called Phineas and Ferb. There's a platypus called Perry who brrs in style.

The Reluctant Rebel said...

I wonder how a fox says "brr."

Priyanka said...

In that case, don't let it grow hungry, and don't let it grow cold.

Karthy said...

Mr. Fox was out on a stroll in the street, when he chanced upon a forlorn young man in a jacket.

"“It’s so cold!" he said. "I don’t know how you can come in wearing only a jacket."

The young man stared. Sure he knew there were foxes in london but surely not in the irredeemably urbanized canary warf! He hunted (political correctness be damned) for an appropriate idiosyncratic british response to the cold.

"brr?" he said, hesistantly.

The fox as he walked away was heard muttering to himself. "I did not know that people said ‘Brr’ in real life"

er...I have no idea why I mangled your post to do that...except for a vague ill defined idea that a 'Fox in Canary Warf' sounded like a title for a story.


ps: Next time you talk to anuj can you ask about his suicidal tendencies and perchance mention science fiction in the same line? It seems to set him off like nothing else! :)

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

I love the story :D

Unknown said...

Not fair. All I get to see are squirrels.

Wiseowl said...

pardon me, i am just out of a traumatic modernism exam, so i must ask.

was it a thought fox?